Six Secrets of the Hartville MarketPlace and Flea Market
Feb 14, 2023
What once began as a livestock auction in 1939, the Hartville MarketPlace & Flea Market is now one of the largest indoor/outdoor markets in the U.S. spanning more than 12 acres and offering a variety of top quality products.
From locally grown produce to artisan jewelry, home decor, clothing, one-of-a-kind antiques and more — there’s something for everyone here. Visiting the MarketPlace should be on the top of your to-do list when traveling to Canton and the experience will be even more memorable when you know these little known tips and tricks.
1. What’s New
With 3 acres of indoor shopping, you’ll find a variety of unique shops at the Hartville MarketPlace. Be sure to stop by the newest additions:
- Hasttel Toy and Collectables - This new store offers action figures, comics, vintage video games, and much more!
- Everything Fiesta - Stop by Hartville’s newest store to find a large selection of colorful and iconic Fiesta Dinnerware in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- The Sole Truth - Grab a pair of 100% custom 3D printed insoles based on your foot structure.
- TSC Jewelry - Specializing in jewelry repair, clothing, and handmade pieces, TSC Jewelry is one of the newer shops that just opened last September.
2. Giving Back
Not only is the Hartville MarketPlace a collector’s paradise, it is also a community hub that strives to give back to the visitors who frequent it. Providing a space for small business owners and entrepreneurs to be able to make some money, the market loves being able to help people grow!
The MarketPlace hosts several fundraisers and charity events like Headshots for Heroes, offering free professional headshots for those who have served our country. The MarketPlace is also home to several ticketed events and a significant amount of the proceeds are donated to Lake Township Fish, a food pantry and emergency assistance organization helping community members in need.
3. Recipe Box
Try your hand at making the Hartville Kitchen’s signature coleslaw at home! All ingredients and supplies can be found throughout the MarketPlace, including mason jars, fresh produce (garden fresh cabbage and homemade dressing) or leave it to the experts and pick up a pint from the Hartville Kitchen. Fresh ingredients and tried-and-true recipes mean the Hartville Kitchen food you serve to friends and family is guaranteed to be delicious.
4. MarketPlace Pickers on YouTube
Get a behind the scenes look and travel the backroads of the Hartville MarketPlace with MarketPlace Pickers on YouTube. Turning trash into treasure and telling the history of Hartville one piece at a time, local pickers Seth and Kirk have created a mini-series with interesting stories and unique finds while scouring the flea market.
5. Tips for Antiquing by Seth & Kirk
If you’re new to the world of flea markets and antiquing, use these tips of the trade from Seth and Kirk for a successful haul:
- Ask questions - Where did this item come from? Any idea how old it is?
- Don’t be afraid to haggle - One of the perks of shopping at a flea market is that the prices aren’t always set in stone. Talk with the vendors and see if there’s room for negotiation.
- The early bird gets the worm - Arrive early for the freshest finds before things have been too picked over.
- If you see something you want, buy it! - Items go fast at flea markets so get it when you see it. It may not be there when you come back.
- Get to know the vendors - Engage with the local sellers. The stories they have to share are sometimes more valuable than the items themselves.
- Prepare for your purchases - Bring cash,a tape measure, paint swatches, and dress comfortably.
6. Calendar of Events
Beyond being a destination for bargains and family-fun, the Hartville MarketPlace & Flea Market is bustling with events and activities all year-round. If you’re a collector, check out their coin show, toy and comic show, sports card show and more for rare items and vintage finds. Stop by the Fall Arts & Crafts Festival for a fun-filled day of live music, food trucks and over 100 craft vendors. Join Santa at the MarketPlace during the holiday season and enjoy a carriage ride, ice carvings, winter treats and more. Check the full calendar of events for more details about upcoming festivities.
*This blog post is sponsored by Experience Hartville.
Hartville MarketPlace & Flea Market
1289 Edison St. NW Hartville, Ohio 44632 (330) 877-9860 Website
Hartville MarketPlace & Flea Market1289 Edison St. NW
Hartville, Ohio 44632
Hartville Kitchen Restaurant & Bakery
1015 Edison St. NW State Rt. 619 Hartville, Ohio 44632 (330) 877-9353 Website
Hartville Kitchen Restaurant & Bakery1015 Edison St. NW
State Rt. 619
Hartville, Ohio 44632
The Shops at Hartville Kitchen
1015 Edison St. NW Hartville, Ohio 44632 (800) 486-6970 Website
The Shops at Hartville Kitchen1015 Edison St. NW
Hartville, Ohio 44632