Learn more about Tourism in Stark County!
STAR Student Application
Thank you for your interest in participating in the 2020 STAR Frontline Training Program, which stands for Stark Tourism Ambassador Recognition. This program is designed to give you all of the tools you need to be an ambassador for tourism in Stark County. Frontline employees, special event volunteers, museum docents, interns, and new employees in the tourism sector will get an in-depth look at the tourism assets of Stark County. We have created a curriculum that is fun, engaging, and rewarding!
- Session I: Thursday, March 5: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Akron Canton Airport & Bus Tour through select Stark County Attractions (Lunch Included)
- Session II: Thursday, April 9: 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at Visit Canton Downtown Canton & Downtown Canton Walking Tour (Lunch Included)
- Graduation (Optional): Thursday, May 7: Tourism Tailgate Luncheon
- STAR Passport: March 5 - June 15: Experience Stark County destinations firsthand utilizing the STAR Travel Passport. The Passport provides STAR students complimentary admissions at select attractions to familiarize yourselves with our most visited travel destinations so you feel confident recommending the area to guests!
- Intro to Travel & Tourism Class PLUS a Bus Tour of Stark County Attractions
- Students will read the book Lessons from the Mouse: A Guide for Applying Disney World’s Secrets of Success to Your Organization, Your Career, and Your Life.
- Walking Tour of the Canton Arts District
- Students will have the opportunity to be exposed to a variety of destinations using the STAR Travel Passport’s exclusive offers created for STAR students
- Graduating STAR Students will receive a certificate and a STAR recognition pin to wear on their uniform.
- Graduating STAR Students will receive a ticket to attend and be recognized as a STAR graduate at the 2020 Visit Canton Tourism Week Celebration on May 7th.
Students are asked to attend two sessions for a total of seven (7) hours of class time. In the weeks between Session I and Session II we ask the students to complete the required reading: Lessons from the Mouse: A Guide for Applying Disney World’s Secrets of Success to Your Organization, Your Career, and Your Life which will be provided to each student. Students will also be given a STAR Passport with twenty (20) Stark County tourist destinations to visit for FREE on their own time.
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED. If you missed the deadline, please contact Laura Felberg at email@example.com
Previous STAR Graduates are invited to participate in the 2020 Class, however new students will be given priority. Class size is limited to 40 students. Confirmation of your acceptance into the STAR Program will be sent via email on February 22. Students must attend both Session I & II (seven hours of class time), and participate in the required reading and complete the five (5) STAR Passport visits to be considered graduates of the program.