menu

Glamorgan Castle

Due to COVID-19, Glamorgan Castle Crusaders are suspending all tours until at least January 1st, 2021.

One of Alliance's most enduring landmarks is Glamorgan Castle. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the structure was commissioned by Col. William Henry Morgan, the president and principal owner of the Morgan Engineering Co., who named it for his father's birthplace in Wales.

Morgan was a Renaissance man not known for doing things on a small scale.

After securing a 50-acre plot of land, Morgan enlisted the services of architect Willard Hirsh, whom he sent to Europe to study and draw up plans. Construction began in 1904.

Although the Morgan family moved into the three-floor structure a year later, work was not completed until 1909. The total cost was $400,000.

Built from 100 tons of structural steel and 96 train-car loads of Vermont marble, with walls above ground a minimum of 13 inches thick, Glamorgan boasted the strength and security of castle of old.

But unlike those structures, which were often cold and dark, Glamorgan featured many modern comforts, including bowling alleys, a billiard room and a large swimming pool in the basement.

Upstairs, the castle's rooms were decorated in a variety of styles, including Italian Renaissance, French Empire, Louis XV, Elizabethan and Japanese.

In 1939 - 11 years after Col. Morgan's death - the Elks Lodge purchased the home and approximately 50 acres of land for $25,000. Twenty-five years later, the property changed hands again, when the Alliance Machine Co. purchased it and initiated an extensive restoration, transforming the castle into the company's international headquarters.

Armed with a $774,350 preservation grant, Alliance City Schools purchased the castle and 20 1/2 acres of land in 1973. Today, the building houses the school district's central administrative offices.

Visit Website Add To Itinerary

Hours: Public Tours begin at 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm every Friday.

Group tours may be requested by calling 330.821.2100
Admission Rates: Donations accepted for tours.

Directions:

200 Glamorgan St. NE
Alliance, OH  44601


Get Directions

Phone: 330.238.8787
Email


  • Group Friendly
  • Reservations Suggested
Interactive Map
Total
  • Eat
  • Group & Event Planning
  • Play
  • Shop
  • Stay